Sunday, December 11, 2011

Run, Forrest. Run!


It’s weird! I thought to myself on my way back to Pune from B’lore. I was sleep-drunk when an announcement overhead woke me up into my senses. I looked outside the window only to see shimmering lights in a dark, foggy winter evening. The airplane driver (a.k.a. Captain) spoke again to share his wisdom, which I was not interested in, but felt entitled to know. I was gazing outside the window, glued, mesmerized by the landscape, protruding a night life in an ocean with hundreds of thousands of jellyfish glowing in the dark. Suddenly, I felt I am being watched. Not by someone from within the plane, but someone from down the ground. Someone standing there watching the plane flyby, wondering if it could ever get a chance to board one of these. And I, on the other hand, amidst of all the turbulence, was hoping to land ASAP with all my limbs intact. And then, BAM!

A sudden thought rushed through me. And I, subconsciously, looked around inside the plane in a desperate hope to find at least one gnome who is doing something that I wasn’t - looking outside the window. But, Alas! With a feeling equivalent to hope being flushed down the drain, I found myself back on the course of gawking outside and got lost in thoughts.

Why is it that we always long for something that we do not have? Why do we strive after something, so hard, just to realize that after all it wasn’t worth it? Why do we disregard, more often than not, the things that we have in possession?  Deliberately or subliminally we all do that (Saints and Sadhus apart). You may say its human tendency. Couldn’t agree more! But my curiosity wouldn’t die down with that answer. It demands more! A concrete explanation, if there is any, is what I am looking for.

We set goals, we achieve them and then we move on to set some new ones. Apparently, this cycle ceases to exist only on pyre (though I am not certain about this; never been there). We are always in a hurry; running after something or someone. We do our level best, put our heart out, burn midnight oil, and sweat our brows just to get hold of whatever it is that we sought after. Knowingly or unknowingly every move that we make is associated with a motive. It doesn’t matter if that motive is kind or unkind, just or unjust, Mother Teresa-ic or Hitler-ic. We-just-do-it!

I thought as hard as I could to come up with one rational explanation that would explain this behavior. And look what I’ve got… no rewards for guessing, it’s Sense of Accomplishment! An ego booster! The feeling, the adrenaline rush, the testosterone, the euphoria, the nirvana is inexplicable. However short lived let that state of the mind be; it’s all worth it! After all that’s what we have come here for, isn’t it?!

In this society of ours we judge everyone around us; not by their ability, but by their accomplishments. And I am not saying there is something wrong in it. ‘Coz to apprehend someone’s ability we have to invest something that we, the Homo Sapiens, do not have: TIME! So what do we do? We take the shorter route acting upon the proposition that ability implies accomplishments. Just admit to the fact that, at some level, we all do it. Even Steffi Graf – the tennis diva - responded to an anonymous “will you marry me?” by what I call witty but darn serious answer “how much money do you have?”

We got to earn respect here. We have to do something substantial with our lives. And if not that, be on top of “show me the money, Honey!” game. The sooner we realize and embrace this fact, the better for us. So unless you are okey being treated like a turd, you better be running!

Peace-Out!
~Abbey





2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I can relate to the chat we had....Hope you are better now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece of writing..and true to the core...

    ReplyDelete